Sunday, April 24, 2011
North to Alaska
Still waiting to travel there.
1. Coming into the Coutnry, John McPhee (1977). The only one of the list I've read. A masterpiece of McPhee's stellar work. He has a knack for finding interesting characters and adventures. Conveys a sense of a country unto itself. Bought used State Department book store.
2. Disappearance: A Map, A Meditation on Death and Loss in the High Latitudes, Sheila Nickerson (1996). Bought used in The Raven Bookstore, Amherst, MA.
3. Going to Extremes, Joe McGuiness (1980). Bought used, can't remember where.
4. Birthplace of the Winds: Adventures in Alsaska's Islands of Fire and Ice, John Bowermaster (2000). Bought used, can't remember where.
5. Passage to Juneau: A Sea and Its Meanings, Jonathan Raban (1999). Bought used, can't remember where.
6. Glacier Pilot, Beth Day (1970). Bought used, Warrenton Library Bookstore.