Saturday, December 16, 2023

2023 THEME: TIME, MEMORY, AND NOSTALGIA...ALSO NONSENSE

Looking back on my reading for 2023, if I find any themes for the year they would be time, memory, and nostalgia. A few of the quotes and observations I've written down from this year.

 
 Like watches ticking on the watches of dead soldiers.
--Jean Cocteau
 
If you live long enough, the process of memory ruthless condenses your experiences consigning much to oblivion.
--Robert Kaplan, Adriatic: A Concert of Civilizations at the End of the Modern Age
 
The alleys at night intimate chambers of of just remembered dreams and childhood
-- Robert Kaplan, Adriatic: A Concert of Civilizations at the End of the Modern Age
 
Journey taken in youth inform the rest of our lives -- they are markers of of change in us as well as the rest of the world
--WSJ, April ?, 2023
 
The lifetime that I've been lent
in idleness I've spent
    --fragment of a poem that I can't recall attribution. 

I had become my ancestors
--The Growing Seasons, Samuel Hynes
 
Man, if he is ever any good never gets over being a boy.
--Sherwood Anderson

Memories lengthen the land
--Walter Havighurst

When considering new innovations, the Supreme. Court must tread carefully so as not to embarrass the future.
--NW Airlines v. Minnesota,  322 U.S. 292, 300 (1949) 

A library without members is a like a cemetery books. Books are like people. Without contact they cease to exist.
--can't remember attribution but I'd like to say Jorge Luis Broges

...at times there came a startled sense of wonder and unrealized opportunity.
--Sherwood Anderson

...time is not cool...
   --NPR interview with a Chanda Prescod-Weinstein (ok, I cheated on this one, it was aired in December 2022)

My observations
 
The right to be forgotten is a formula of truth verses time.

Time is the highway that memory travel down after the journey has been made.
 
Memory is more a poem than a transcript.

These quotes don't fit into my themes but I'm adding anyway because I liked them enough to write down. 

 
Everyone is ignorant only on different subjects.
--Will Rogers

There is nothing as easy as denouncing...it doesn't take much to see something is wrong but it takes some eyesight to see what will put it right.
--Will Rogers
 
Courtesy is the very basis for all mutual respect and concord.
--Erasmus
 
The hoi poloi's hobledihoi poo-pooed the hub-bub.
--My best homemade nonsense sentence of 2023 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment